Saturday, April 30, 2011

Victoria Falls

Just up from Pointe Mulatre Bay, near the village of Delices, is Victoria Falls.  

The walk starts at the Zion Valley Rastarant (not a spelling mistake).

As I got there, a truck full of friendly rastafarians was leaving. They had just brought back the wreckage of a pickup truck which had gone into a ravine (luckily nobody was injured).


The walk up to Victoria Falls is an interesting one, following the river all the way, and crossing it five times. The river swells shortly after rains, so it's vital to be on alert. When I went up, it was waist deep at the crossings.


I attached myself to a couple from Guadeloupe with a guide who knew the way and where to cross (without a guide, it would be hard to know where to go). Here we are at one point in the river, as we began to approach the falls.


Clambering up river boulders was another feature of this walk. Despite being smooth, rocks were luckily not too slippery.


This is the impressive Victoria Falls. At eighty metres, I could just about fit its whole length into a photo taken from afar.


At its base, the waterfall crashed onto rocks and then a pool. With the people in the foreground, you can see the scale of it (only the bottom quarter of the falls is shown).


The pool was great to swim in, and I really felt the force of the waterfall, as it produced waves and a very strong wind full of water vapour (which stung my face when I swam towards the falls). I clung to the rocks at the side of the falls, but I knew it would be too dangerous to try to swim through the centre, due to the downward force and risk of rocks in the river being brought over the edge.


I decided to head back on my own, thinking it would be easy to retrace our steps. It was OK most of the way, but I did get temporarily lost at one stage during a heavy shower.


I sheltered under a rock for twenty minutes, before finding my way again back to the start.