Thursday, April 21, 2011

Titou Gorge

In the rainforest, just past the entrance to the aerial tramway and on the path leading up to Boiling Lake, I reached Titou Gorge, an incredible natural feature.
Just off the Boiling Lake path, I looked down the narrow gorge to the river fifteen metres below. Not wanting to slip, I grabbed hold of a tree while peering over the edge.


When it's not in flood, you can enter the gorge swimming through a narrow entrance from an open pool area outside. Wanting to photograph it, I went in swimming and holding up my camera with one hand. Being so impressive inside, I thought it was worth the risk of damaging the camera. It looks pitch black inside, but swimming up the river my eyes quickly become accustomed to the light.


The water is fresh and crystal clear and the river is lined by tall vertical rock sides. Looking up, I saw the forest above.


 In places, the sunlight hits the water directly, creating illuminated blue green patches.



And at the end, I got to the rapids.


When the water is low, you can clamber up the side of the rapids and continue up the gorge, something that the canyoning groups do. Camera in hand, I couldn't go up, but got this shot instead. Turn the volume down (the rapid is noisy!).


Titou is before the entrance to the Trois Pitons national park, so entrance is free. In cruise-ship season (November-April) or weekends, if you want the place to yourself, get there before 11 am or after 4 pm. It's a twenty minute walk from the village of Laudat above the Roseau valley, shortly after the aerial tram entrance. It's also a great thing to do on the long trek back from Boiling Lake, soothing those sore legs.