Monday, January 17, 2011

Montane forest

I had a great time exploring the area.

For breakfast, I would have fresh fruit and a large jug of freshly-brewed coffee at a pousada set amongst idyllic scenery, just up the road. Not a bad start to the day.



Across the road, this is where the owner lived- in a typical local house with its vegetable garden.



And here was his beetle, another one in the forest.



At the end of the track, I got to the wood cabin where we used to spend our weekends. Below was the river, with its small rapids, pools and cool crystal-clear water where I went swimming, reliving old times.


  

In this area there were four-metre tall tree ferns everywhere. Quite impressive.


These orchids were growing on a bank at the side of the track.


And amongst some leaves, were these fragrant flowers which had fallen from a twisted tree. They smelt of lychee.

Large prehistoric-looking bromeliads were also in flower.


I had a taste of this: a wild passion-fruit. Actually not as bitter as expected.


This stand of palms caught my attention. A work of art. It somehow reminded me of Rousseau's Tiger in the Forest.


And this took me by surprise- a snake (not a tiger) sunning itself on a path leading into the forest.


In the dark damp forest there were lots of fungi. These looked particularly high-tech.


And then further up, from a clearing, there was a splendid view of the mountains, through a monkey-puzzle tree.


There were some pastures on these slopes, and the cows were coming in for the evening.


I was getting hungry towards the end of the afternoon and ate lots of wild raspberries (this story is beginning to sound a bit like Snow White).


This was the view as I walked back down to the campsite. A day in paradise.